To remove and install the battery on your Polaris P5500 or P6500 generator, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the generator is on a flat, level surface and lock the wheels.
2. Ensure the ignition switch is turned OFF and remove the key.
3. Access the battery from below the control panel. Start by disconnecting the black negative cable first to prevent arcing with an 8mm wrench and socket.
4. Then disconnect the red positive cable by removing the fastener with an 8mm wrench and socket. Reinstall the fasteners into the cable posts to prevent misplacement.
5. Using an 8mm socket, remove the two fasteners securing the battery bracket and remove the bracket.
6. Lift the battery out of the generator and place it on a flat surface.
7. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris to prevent damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
8. Place the battery in the battery holder.
9. Secure the battery bracket and tighten the fasteners until fully seated.
10. Connect and tighten the red positive cable first. Torque to 3 to 5 ft-lbs (4-7 Nm).
11. Then connect and tighten the black negative cable last. Torque to 3 to 5 ft-lbs (4-7 Nm).
12. Coat the terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly and reinstall the protector boots.
13. Verify that the cables are properly routed and safely tucked away at the front and rear of the battery.
14. Start the generator to verify the battery is connected properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. You can find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More operation and maintenance procedures can be found in your Owner's Manual.
For replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.