Required Tools and Supplies:
- Spark Plug Wrench
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Wire Brush
- Wire-Type Feeler Gauge
- Shop Rags
- Nitrile Gloves
- Safety Glasses
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your generator. To remove and replace a spark plug on your Polaris P2000i generator, follow these steps:
1. Place the generator on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area. If the engine has been running, allow it to cool completely to prevent the risk of burns.
2. Locate the spark plug access door on the top of the generator, and remove the two screws and washers from the door with a Phillips screwdriver.
3. Lift and remove the access door.
4. Clean any dirt or debris from the base of the spark plug.
5. Carefully remove the spark plug cap.
6. Using the spark plug wrench supplied in the tool kit, remove the spark plug.
7. Inspect the electrode for wear and carbon buildup. The electrode should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion. Continue inspecting and replace if the electrodes are worn or if the insulator is cracked, chipped or fouled. The spark plug is part number 3410512.
8. Carefully clean the spark plug with a wire brush if reinstalling.
9. Using a wire-type feeler gauge, measure the spark plug electrode gap. The gap should measure 0.024 to 0.028 inches (0.6 to 0.7 mm). If necessary, correct the gap by carefully bending the side electrode.
10. Make sure the spark plug sealing washer is in good condition.
11. Thread the spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading and then fully torque, using the spark plug wrench. A new spark plug should be turned an additional 1/2 of a turn, and a used spark plug should be turned an additional 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. A loose spark plug can overheat and damage the engine, while over-tightening the spark plug can damage the plug threads.
12. Reinstall the spark plug cap, and ensure it is fully seated.
13. Reinstall the spark plug access door, and tighten the two screws until fully seated.
14. Start the engine using the recommended procedures in your Owner’s Manual to ensure proper operation of the engine.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement parts, use the online parts catalog.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.