|Required Tools and Supplies|
|Drain Pan||Nitrile Gloves|
|Safety Glasses||Shop Rags|
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when performing maintenance on your generator.
To change the oil and clean the spark arrestor on your Polaris P2000i generator, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the generator is on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Start the engine, and allow it to run for a few minutes. Always operate the generator outdoors in a well-ventilated area.
3. Stop the engine, and position the fuel valve switch and the fuel vent to OFF.
4. Elevate the generator several inches to allow access to the drain plug.
5. Using a Phillips screwdriver, loosen the two maintenance cover fasteners. Pivot the cover out, and remove the cover.
6. Clean the area around the oil dipstick.
7. Remove the oil dipstick and set it aside.
8. Place a drain pan under the generator. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of oil.
9. Remove the rubber plug from the bottom of the generator to access the drain plug.
10. Continue by cleaning the area around the drain plug.
11. With a 10mm socket, remove the drain plug and sealing washer. Allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Avoid contact with hot oil to prevent the risk of burns.
12. Inspect the drain plug and sealing washer. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches. Install a new washer as needed on the drain plug.
13. Reinstall the washer and oil drain plug. Torque the plug to 13.3 to 16.2 ft-lbs (18 to 22 Nm).
14. Before continuing, wipe up any residual oil.
15. Reinstall the rubber plug on the bottom of the generator.
16. Remove the drain pan, and dispose of the used oil properly at your local recycling facility.
17. Safely lower the generator.
18. Insert the included oil funnel into the dipstick tube.
19. Add the recommended oil to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick. The capacity is 13.6 ounces (0.4 liters). Polaris Power Generator Oil is part number 2879383 for 1 quart (946 ml). NOTE: To check the oil level - Insert the dipstick into filler neck, without screwing it in, to inspect the oil level. Remove the dipstick and verify that the oil is at the upper limit. Add additional oil and inspect the level as needed until the upper limit has been reached.
20. Reinstall the dipstick.
21. Reinstall the maintenance cover by aligning the lower tabs and pivoting in to align the upper mounting holes. Then install the screws and torque until fully seated.
22. Start the engine per the Owner's Manual guidelines and allow it to run for 1 to 2 minutes in a well-ventilated area.
23. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
24. Remove the maintenance cover again to re-check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
25. Reinstall the dipstick and wipe up any residual oil.
26. Reinstall the maintenance cover, and torque the fasteners until fully seated.
27. In addition to changing the oil, clean the spark arrestor at every oil change. Reference your Owner's Manual for the full procedure. Always allow the generator to cool completely before performing spark arrestor maintenance.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement parts, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.