- Phillips Screwdriver
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
The above video describes the pre-operation inspection, starting and stopping of the Polaris P2000i generator.
Always perform pre-operation inspections before each use and when removing from storage. If any concerns arise, service the generator promptly or visit your authorized Polaris Dealer.
1. Place the generator on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Inspect the engine oil level.
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, loosen the two maintenance cover fasteners, pivot the cover out, and remove the cover.
- Clean the area around the dipstick.
- Unscrew the dipstick, and wipe it clean.
- Reinstall the dipstick into the filler neck and screw it in.
- Remove the dipstick again, and inspect the oil level.
- Add oil as needed with the included funnel until oil reaches the upper mark on the dipstick. The generator's capacity is 13.6 ounces (0.4 L). New generators will be shipped without oil.
- Reinstall the dipstick and wipe up any residual oil.
- Reinstall the maintenance cover by aligning the lower retaining tabs and pivoting in to align the mounting holes. Then install the two cover fasteners, and torque until fully seated.
3. Move to the fuel system, and begin by removing the fuel cap.
- Then carefully add fuel as needed. Do not fill above the upper fill mark and use caution when handling gasoline.
- Once complete, reinstall the fuel cap, and tighten securely.
4. Inspect the exhaust system for leakage. Tighten or replace the gasket if needed.
5. Remove any debris from the generator, especially near the HOT exhaust system.
After completing the pre-operation inspection, you can now start your generator.
1. Ensure all power cords and extension cords are unplugged from the generator.
2. Open the fuel vent, and position the fuel valve switch to the ON position.
3. Press the engine switch to ON.
4. For a cold engine start, pull out the choke lever. To restart a warm engine, leave the choke lever pushed in.
5. Lightly pull the starter recoil grip until resistance is felt. Then pull firmly out, and return it gently to prevent damage to the generator.
6. Once running, push the choke lever back in if needed. Repeat this until the generator has started.
In case of emergency, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position to stop the engine. Continually stopping the generator with a load applied can lead to damage of the control module.
Under normal conditions, perform the following procedure to shut off the generator:
1. Ensure all appliances are shut off and disconnected from the generator.
2. Turn the engine switch to OFF.
3. Turn the fuel valve switch to OFF.
4. Turn the fuel vent to OFF.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. You can find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More operation and maintenance procedures can be found in your P2000i Owner's Manual.
For replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.