Required Tools and Supplies
- Shop Rags
- Wire-Type Feeler Gauge
- Spark Plug Wrench
- Wire Brush
- Phillips Screwdriver
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your generator. To remove and replace a spark plug on your Polaris P3200iE generator, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the generator is on a flat, level surface and allow it to cool completely.
2. Using a Phillips screwdriver, loosen the two maintenance cover fasteners and remove the cover.
3. Clean the area around the base of the spark plug.
4. Remove the spark plug cap.
5. Using the spark plug wrench supplied in the tool kit, remove the spark plug.
6. Inspect the electrode for wear and carbon buildup. The electrode should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion. Replace if the electrodes are worn or if the insulator is cracked, chipped or fouled.
7. Carefully clean the spark plug with a wire brush if reinstalling.
8. Using a wire-type feeler gauge, measure the spark plug electrode gap. If necessary, adjust the gap to specification. The spark plug gap should be 0.024 to 0.028 inches (0.6 to 0.7 mm).
9. Make sure the spark plug sealing washer is in good condition.
10. Thread the spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading and then fully torque using the spark plug wrench. A new spark plug should be turned an additional 1/2 of a turn, and a used spark plug should be turned an additional 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. A loose spark plug can overheat and damage the engine, while over-tightening the spark plug can damage the plug threads.
11. Reinstall the spark plug cap and ensure it is fully seated.
12. Reinstall the maintenance cover and tighten the fasteners until fully seated.
13. Start the engine using the recommended procedures in your Owner’s Manual to ensure proper operation of the engine.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More operation and maintenance procedures can be found in your P3200iE Owner's Manual.
For replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.