Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop rags
- Dielectric grease or petroleum jelly
- Torque wrench
- 10mm and 13mm sockets
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris GENERAL.
To remove and install the battery on your GENERAL 1000 or GENERAL 4 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Turn the key switch OFF and remove the key.
4. Remove the seat that the battery is located under by pulling up on the seat lever and pivoting forward. The battery is located under the rearmost driver's side seat. It is under the driver's seat on a GENERAL 1000 and under the driver's side rear seat on a GENERAL 4 1000.
5. Remove the battery access panel.
6. Loosen the black negative battery cable fastener with a 13mm socket. Remove the cable and set it aside. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
7. Then loosen the red positive battery cable fastener with a 13mm socket. Remove the cable and set it aside.
8. Remove the battery hold-down fastener with a 10mm socket.
9. Slide the battery and hold it down toward the driver’s side and remove the battery hold down.
10. Lift the battery out of the vehicle.
11. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery, hinder vehicle performance and result in a shorter life. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4014132-P.
12. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to the Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips video for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
13. Reinstall the battery into the battery holder.
14. Install the battery hold down. Torque the fastener to 3.5 ft-lbs (5 Nm).
15. Install the red positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
16. Ensure the positive cable boot is properly installed.
17. Install the black negative cable last. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
18. Verify the battery cables are tightened securely.
19. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
20. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
21. Reinstall the battery access panel.
22. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down on the rear.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.