Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your generator. To change the engine oil on your Polaris P6500 or P5500 generator, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the generator is on a flat, level surface and lock the wheels.
2. In a well-ventilated area, start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes.
3. Stop the engine and ensure the key is removed.
4. Turn the fuel valve switch to the OFF position.
5. Clean the area around the oil dipstick.
6. Remove the oil dipstick and set aside.
7. Place a drain pan under the generator. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of oil.
8. Using a 12mm socket, remove the drain plug and sealing washer. Drain the oil completely. Avoid contact with hot oil to prevent the risk of burns.
9. Inspect the drain plug and sealing washer. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
10. Reinstall the oil drain plug. Torque to 29 to 36 ft-lbs (40-50 Nm).
11. Add the recommended oil to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick. The capacity is 37.2 ounces (1,100.1 mL). Polaris Power Generator Oil is part number 2879383 for 1 quart (946 ml).
12. Reinstall the dipstick completely.
13. Dispose of the used oil properly at your local recycling facility.
14. Start the engine and allow it to run for 1 to 2 minutes.
15. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
16. Re-check the oil level on the dipstick and add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
17. Reinstall the dipstick again and clean any residual oil off the vehicle.
Spark Arrestor Maintenance
In addition to changing the oil, ensure the spark arrestor is cleaned at every oil change. The spark arrestor is located on the end of the muffler. Allow the engine to cool completely before performing these steps.
1. First, use a Phillips socket to remove the screw holding the spark arrestor to the muffler.
2. Pull the end cap off to remove the arrestor screen.
3. Clean the spark arrestor with a stiff wire brush.
4. Replace if the wire mesh is perforated or torn.
5. Reinstall the screen and cap, aligning the holes. Secure the cap to the muffler with the screw until fully seated.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More operation and maintenance procedures can be found in your Owner's Manual.
For replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.