Required Tools and Supplies
- Shop Rags
- Torque Wrench
- 8mm and 12mm Sockets
- 8mm Wrench
- Battery Charger
- Drain Pan
Follow these steps to prepare your Polaris P5500 or P6500 generator for long-term storage.
1. Start by selecting a flat storage area free from any excessive humidity, dust or extreme weather. Avoid any areas near a flame-operated appliance or where power tools are operated.
2. If the generator will be stored with fuel, always add a suitable fuel stabilizer. Follow all product labels when adding stabilizer.
3. Fog the engine per the Owner’s Manual guidelines. Follow all product labels when fogging the engine.
4. Change the engine oil per the Owner’s Manual guidelines. Inspect for leaks and dispose of the used oil properly.
5. Turn the fuel valve lever to OFF and remove the key.
6. Remove the battery and store it in a cool, dry location. Recharge the battery once a month or use a battery trickle charger to maintain battery charge.
7. Clean the exterior of the generator with a clean, dry cloth. Avoid using water to clean the generator.
8. Lock the wheels to ensure it does not roll.
9. With the engine and exhaust system cooled, cover the generator to prevent the accumulation of dust. Avoid plastic sheets as a dust covers. They can trap moisture around the generator, promoting rust and corrosion. The P5500/P6500 All Weather Cover is part number 2830542.
10. When removing the generator from storage:
- Perform the pre-operation inspection. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for the full inspection procedures.
- Fill the tank with fresh gasoline if fuel was drained during storage preparation.
- Reinstall the battery per the Owner’s Manual guidelines.
- Follow the recommended start and usage procedures listed in the Owner’s Manual. If the engine was fogged during storage preparation, it may smoke briefly at startup as it burns off the excess oil on the cylinders.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. You can find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More operation and maintenance procedures can be found in your P5500/P6500 Owner's Manual.
For replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.